Monday 11 April 2011

THE CAT I REHOMED!!

REHOMING A SICK CAT!
"There are no ordinary cats".
(Colette)

I went to the pet market one day to purchase cat food for my cats. As i was about to leave to get home I happened to saw a cat, ginger and white in color. The cat was on a leash (a cat leash is a ridiculous idea). His eyes were almost closed, tear stains and dirt were all around his eyes and nose.He was continuously sneezing. He had to keep his mouth open to breathe. I stopped the moment i saw him and could not take my eyes off of  him. The poor cat was such a beauty. Alas! In worst condition.

I went to the shop and asked the shopkeeper about the price of the cat. He demanded very high price for him (he told me he has bi-color coat and is puch faced). I said to him if this cat is worth that high price, why don't you take care of him.. Why is he in so much pain?? Why this poor condition?? Why a leash on him?? Why is he left untreated?? Why there are thousands of fleas roaming about all over his skin??
He could not answer any of my questions. How could he! It was so inhumane of him to keep a cat in worst condition in his shop. The cat had diarrhea and he had placed a untidy bowl of milk in front of him. The sick cat was drinking milk from it (milk is dangerous to give to cats who are suffering from diarrhea).

I came back home, got busy in daily routine life but i failed to keep my thoughts away from that cat!! :-(
And when at night i went to sleep i had a bad dream about that cat. He was running away and crying out loud and was dying.

The next morning, I woke up and got ready. I went straight to the market, to the shop( hoping the cat was alive!). I found that cat in the shop, I could see the helplessness in his eyes. I negotiated the price with the shopkeeper(price was still high for a sick cat like him). However, I was happy to buy him (Let me tell you i bought him for good reasons).

I took him straight to a vet on my way back to home to have him examined. He told me that the cat is suffering from feline FVR (CAT FLU). He made it clear that lots of money and care is required for the sick cat. I got really worried when he told me that the disease is highly contagious to other cats as i had many other cats in house. I tried all my best to give the poor kitty the best health and care.

After ten days treatment including medication, steam and proper diet, I could see the clear difference in his condition :-) I spent my money and time on him and gave him all my love, I definitely got the reward in return! He is giving me much love and fun in return.

Now came his grooming! His coat was all matted, stinky and smelly. I took him to the pet centre. They cut his hairs. I gave him a bath and what i found out later was that he had skin infection too! flea bite infection and fungal infection.. Arghhhhh!! (I so much wanted to kill that shopkeeper).
Anyways, the treatment was started again. In few days he was all perfect and disease free. He was given his vaccination shots also. I named him fluffy..

Fluffy is now happily living in my home with my other cats who welcomed him warm heartedly. Fluffy is a family now!

I am planning to go to the market again to see if any other sick cat is waiting for me to come and give my love and care to it.........!!!
I hope whoever read this note of mine, do the same.

"Before a cat will condescend
To treat you as a trusted friend,
Some little token of esteem
Is needed, like a dish of cream".
(T.S.ELIOT)






No comments:

Post a Comment